Friday, August 25, 2006

It's Freedom Fri (es) day at Cigar Box Guitars!


I was never a big fan of the stupid franco bashing that went on after they refused to back our invasion of Iraq. One of the worst things to come out of it was the ridiculous redubbing of French fries as freedom fries, French toast as freedom toast, etc. I hate that. So yeah, this friday I'm saying Fuck You to anyone that was in favor of freedom fries. Not that this is really relevant to current politics, but every now and again I still spot a "boycott france" bumper sticker, so Fuck those people.

Oh HEY, while I'm on the subject of France, I guess I can share this awesome song from the animated film Les Triplettes de Belleville.

"Belleville Rendez-Vous" by Mathieu Chedid

Everything about this song is great. The guitar scratching is fantastic, the vocals all tiptoe back and forth between absurdly comic and straight up awesome. From what I've been told, the version in English isn't nearly as good either. Something about the flow of the French language just appeals to my ear musically.

On another note,
The forthcoming Decemberists album, The Crane Wife is really not doing it for me. Maybe I can hope that since it's not due out for a while (Oct. 3) that it will be touched up by then, but I don't know if that'll really make a difference. I'm really having trouble putting my finger on it, but something about this album just doesn't sound like the decemberists. I mean, first of all, there's very little energy on the album, but even the slow songs don't have that same feel. It kind of reminds me of some of Colin Meloy's solo stuff, which for the most part, isn't that exciting either. I'm actually not going to post any of the tracks since the one I already posted is really the only one I thought was worthwhile. This is a pretty big letdown for me. It's good to know though. Better I know now, rather than have to hear it on the streets later.

No comments: