Monday, July 10, 2006

Rhymefest gets caught Strokin' It


So I heard a track off of Rhymefest's Blue Collar album tonight, and I'm really enjoying it. One website described it as starting off with the chaos of hardcore punk, or something like that, and that was kind of a stupid description. It actually started with a chunk of the Strokes' "Someday" which then gets chopped up into the beat for the rest of the song. I could say that I enjoyed "Devil's Pie" more than anything the Strokes have done themselves since Room on Fire, but that really wouldn't be too huge of a compliment. I don't know if it's just a Chicago thing or what, but Rhymefest and Fiasco both have flows that sound heavily Kanye influenced. Either way, if it's regional or just taking a page from Mr. West's book, it's certainly not a bad thing. The part about borrowing money from Kanye is especially great. I look forward to hearing the full length album as soon as I get my hands on it.

"Devil's Pie" by Rhymefest

No comments: