Tuesday, July 25, 2006

and we put it on Wax... it's the Newwww style


I found a record store a block over from where I do construction and I've been spending a good amount of my lunch breaks in there as of late. I guess as a result of all this shiny new (and dingy old - new to me) vinyl, I've finally set up my computer to rip songs from my turntable. Anyways, here's a bunch of songs that I am now able to post.



"Say" feat. Lauryn Hill by M.E.T.H.O.D. Man
I tried to post this one a while back but it never worked and I sort of forgot about it, since I'm not really the biggest Meth fan in the world. Today I saw that the single had just hit the record shop though, so I felt obliged to pick it up, and then to share it with you kind folks. Method Man over acoustic guitar is not something I ever saw coming and I can say I'm glad it happened.



"Huddle Formation Remix" by RJD2
A friend of mine picked me up this Go! Team single a while ago, and I've been forever indebted to her since. This remix lacks that Go! Team energy, but if you don't go into it looking for that, it's a really cool track.



"(The Best Part of) Breaking Up" by the Ronettes
Buying
Phil Spector's top twenty for under five bucks was probably the best vinyl purchase of my life. It's an assortment of tracks from the Ronettes, the Crystals, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, a young Tina Turner with Ike, Checkmates Ltd., Darlene Love, and the Righteous Brothers. I can honestly tell you that there was a pretty lengthy phase during which this album was played exclusively on my turntable. It's just a crowd pleaser. Ronnie Spector is also never sexier than on this track when she half sings, "come on, baby". Just plain saucy, and sultry, and any other s-adjectives you can think of. That is, except slutty, because Veronica Spector is a saint. This song came through kind of quiet for whatever reason. Turn them speakers up.



"Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Stevie Wonder
Does anyone not like Stevie Wonder? The basslines are so overly funky, his piano sounds like it's actually being tickled, the trumpets rarely go below blast, and with his perfect wailing vocals, it all comes together into this one sonic package that should be a mess with all the things going on at once, but always comes out beautiful. This song in particular is damn near impossible to hear without hearing it in your head all day. I think in this case, that's a good thing. I got this off of a compilation LP that I found today called Million Performance Songs. Look at what a good find this is:

Side I
"Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson
"Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours" by Stevie Wonder
"I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5
"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
"Sail On" by the Commodores
"Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" by Diana Ross
"Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder
"Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" by the Temptations

Side II
"For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder
"Get Ready" by the Temptations
"Going To a Go-Go" by the Miracles
"You're All I Need to Get By" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
"Never Can Say Goodbye" by the Jackson 5
"All This Love" by DeBarge
"Superfreak" by Rick James
"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder

Apparently all these songs were performed over a million times. Good job, songs.

No comments: