Tuesday, July 04, 2006

july the 4th



Oscar Wilde said that, "Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." I am using that quote as an excuse to not care about being patriotic on this 4th day of the 7th month and just sit in my room and listen to music. I also decided to post some songs with America in the title (and yes, I just typed the word America into my iTunes search and picked the best ones).

America - M83

Cheesy drum machine + synths galore + 2 french guys = a song that somehow makes it onto a post on July 4th.

See America Right - The Mountain Goats

A song that is part of an album long story about a couple who get consumed by the drink in Tallahassee. A devastating portrait of the American dream turned on its head.

Surf Wax America - Weezer

Just to show I'm not all doom and gloom, here is one of the best summer songs ever. I can't explain why the lyrics "you take your car to work, I'll take my board" aren't cheesy, but when Rivers says them here (years before becoming a huge wank) he sounds genuine as can be.

No comments: