Saturday, October 14, 2006

I said this ain't no mecca man, this place is FUCKED

I was going to post something yesterday, but it was Judas Priest friday, so I ended up just eating some fungus and wandering around my house convinced that everyone else there and everything I've ever known was a dream. But that's a story for another day.


There's a cool list at Stylus about the top 10 songs by artists singing about other artists and I was really surprised to see Rancid's "Journey to the End of the East Bay" on there. Does it really count as being a song about another artist when you're singing about your old band? Maybe. At least it counts as much as Chuck Berry singing about himself counts. Even though my musical tastes may have expanded far beyond punk rock and the like, the blurb for the song kinda sums up my love of the genre.

I’m going to be an old man one day, and I’m going to opine endlessly about music I listened to in high school. “We carried JanSports to school,” I’ll say, “our ‘Anarchy’ patches would wiggle out of their safety pins twice before lunch!” I’ll say. “And pop-punk…well it meant something too, and bands would sing of younger and better bands, sillier and more idealistic than themselves!” I’ll put on Rancid’s homage to the strangely enduring Operation Ivy, and I’ll tell the grandkids to go bother their grandmum, I will. “Got a garage or an amp we’ll play aaaanytime…”

I hate on Rancid a lot, but my contempt is really directed towards the latter day Rancid, once they sort of became a caricature of themselves. If we're talking about earlier stuff, there's definitely a soft spot in my heart for that two chord nonsense. I'll never like Rancid as much as Op Ivy though, Jesse Michaels is just a better vocalist than Tim Armstrong. Armstrong should've just stuck with his guitar.




Joe Budden is a ridiculous human being. Why you ask? Because he chose to freestyle over Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings". He starts talking about A-Rod and Cory Liddle somewhere in the middle too. Absurdity.

No comments: