Monday, November 13, 2006

Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!



So I finally got around to listening to a couple tracks off of Albert Hammond Jr.'s solo album. With the first song I put on ("In Transit"), my knee jerk reaction is just to say, "It sounds like the Strokes," but then I remember that the Strokes don't exactly sound like this anymore. "In Transit" is an enjoyable song. Technically speaking, Hammond has a better singing voice than Casablancas, but that means it lacks the gritty edge. As I sit here, I'm really enjoying the song, but I can't shake the feeling that it's soon going to fade into my memory. That being said, I just moved on to "Everyone Gets A Star" and he's already starting to grow on me. Maybe I can just pull a "Ministry of Truth" move and replace First Impressions of Earth with his album in the history books. "It Never Rains In Southern California" and "Call an Ambulance" even move beyond the Strokes sound and go into a "beatles/something familiar that I can't put my finger on" thing. The only thing here that I don't really like much is this track "Scared", but hey, he's doing fine everywhere else.



In summation, thumbs up Al.

"In Transit" by Albert Hammond Jr.
"Everyone Gets a Star" by Albert Hammond Jr.
"It Never Rains In Southern California" by Albert Hammond Jr.
"Call an Ambulance" by Albert Hammond Jr.
"Scared" by Albert Hammond Jr.



Note: I've been having problems lately using yousendit.com, so I'm giving sendspace.com a whirl. The only difference for you the reader is that now you just need to right click and save as. Carry on.

No comments: