Sunday, November 26, 2006

Floating down the river Styx with My Chemical Romance



So lately I've been catching this My Chemical Romance song "Welcome to the Black Parade" on the radio quite a bit. I have to say, whenever it comes on, I have a little more fun than I would expect from any mall rock song. Listening to it though, it's wildly obvious that the band has been enjoying Styx lately. "Black Parade" is an epic that carefully replicates the exact same formula that gives "Come Sail Away" its cheesy rock appeal.



You have the tender piano intro, the rousing drums, the "rockin'" section, the parallels to marching music, it's all there. For the most part, it's laid out in the same order too. To their credit, My Chem strays away from laying the schmaltz on as thick as Dennis DeYoung does. Is schmaltz even a word? It might not be. They progress from the balladry to the rocking fairly quickly, which does a lot to keep things interesting. As much as I might enjoy "Come Sail Away", the buildup does take forever.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is congratulations, My Chemical Romance. You've taken the model that was lovingly laid down by Styx and you've crafted a catchy/douchey powerballad. Is that even a compliment? I'm pretty sure it's not.

"Come Sail Away" by Styx

"Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance



Also, Daryl Palumbo, the guy from Glassjaw and Head Automatica, has a new project in the works, called "House of Blow" along with one of the dudes from Hatebreed. Let's say you have Head Automatica and instead of being a band, it's a 10 year old kid. Let's say that 10 year old's single parent, Glassjaw, is just not around too often, so the kid ends up with a babysitter that he spends a lot of time with. Now let's say that the babysitter in question is Portishead. That little boy would grow up to be House of Blow.


No comments: