Monday, March 05, 2007

x gonna give it to ya

I usually start out my posts with saying how long it has been since I last posted. I'm not gonna do that any more. Hopefully people know to expect about one post from me a month. Sorry, I am just lazy. Although it's now March, I thought about writing the best-of list from last year, and I still might.







So about a year and a half ago, I randomly got this song "Take Ecstasy With Me" by the Magnetic Fields. It became a favorite, and eventually led me to start getting into the band (although a year before that i had bought the album I and hated it, now I love it). I started to download random Magnetic Fields songs and was falling in love with this band. I finally bought the album Holiday (because it had my favorite song on it), and was shocked to realize the version on the album was not the one I had been enjoying. The mp3 I liked was sang by a girl, while the album version had Stephen Merritt (who could never be mistaken for a female).



The other day the Green Hornet asked me if I had heard the !!! version, and I assumed that the version I had was that one, so I said that I had. Today, upon further review I realized the version with the girl (Susan Anway) was the Magnetic Fields and they recorded it for a Merge Records 10th anniversary compilation. Today, I bought the !!! version on iTunes to make sure I had the correct one, and it's really good.

So what is the deal with this song? As usual a Stephen Merritt song, gay undertones ("we got beat up just for holding hands"), but basically a love song. All three versions have a great propulsive beat going, but !!! take it to another level.

Take Ecstasy with Me (album version) - Magnetic Fields
Take Ecstasy with Me (Susan Anway version) - Magnetic Fields
Take Ecstasy with Me - !!!

While we are on the topic of ecstasy (does it sound like I have an issue with this drug or what?), here's the awesome New Order song "Ecstasy"

Ecstasy - New Order

OK, one video then I'm gone. I have no idea of the origins of this video, but for some reason it is hilarious. I think this guy actually takes himself seriously. I kind of enjoy the beat.





No comments: