Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I don't know where my phone is, I don't know where my homies

So it's never really been a secret that I've long been on Nelly Furtado's figurative jock, even before I saw her from a side profile.


I can actually remember exactly when it started and that would be the 2002 grammys, the only year I really watched the grammys. I wasn't really a big fan of "I'm like a bird", but when she performed it that night, something in it just hit me. It was a great performance, just her and Steve Vai off on a side stage, side by side in one single stationary spotlight. He played his guitar and she sang, that's it. Once I heard her showcased in a minimalistic setting like that, her vocals totally blew me away. Since then her pop songs have become a guilty pleasure of mine, but this latest single, "Say It Right", is really catching on in my head. It just has some kind of quality to it that sounds so familiar to me, yet I can't put my finger on what the hell it is. Maybe it's because it showcases her voice a little bit more than her other recent singles, maybe it's the weird atmospheric "heys" in the beat, I just don't know. Plus the video shows her with her own custom heli-pad. How fucking cool would it be to have your own custom heli-pad?



No comments: