Sunday, May 20, 2007

Living with the Living



The more I spin this album, the more I'm falling in love with it and the more I feel like I was a dumb dumb for saying that the album wasn't much of a departure from Leo's previous albums. There are definitely certain songs that carry that same Pharmacists aesthetic, but there's a lot of movement in different directions here. I was kind of down on it at first, since I didn't enjoy the experimentation with "Bomb. Repeat. Bomb.", but "The Lost Brigade" is proving to me that Leo can move beyond his usual formulas with success. The swells when the vocals drop in are very well placed, the guitar cuts through like a knife, and the percussion is perfect. I've missed way too many free Ted Leo shows in the past and there is no way I'm going to let myself miss him at McCarren Park this year.

No comments: