Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Try singing along in Dylan-esque gibberish, It's Fun!



Sometimes I start to fixate on how creepy Bob Dylan is these days and I forget how awesome young Dylan was. I'm not gonna go off too much on the topic, since gushing about how Dylan's awesome is probably akin to blogging about how the Beatles sold a buncha records.








Off of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, a scathing anti-war song. It pains me that I'm not hearing popular music with this kind of rebellious passion today.





The titular track from Dylan's third release is easily one of the finer songs, lyrically, of all time. But you knew that, right?




This is a really cool tune that I never paid much mind to until it came up in an English course I'm taking this semester. Apparently Joyce Carol Oates was so inspired by this song that she wrote "Where are You Going? Where Have You Been?"


"Don't Think Twice, It's Allright" by Bob Dylan

One of the greatest break up songs I've ever heard, off of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

Fuck Blue Öyster Cult, this song is where cowbell skills should be at. I was introduced to Nashville Skyline through a good friend of mine during a heavy Johnny Cash phase and I couldn't be more grateful to him.

Speaking of Johnny Cash, this track from the same album contains one of the weirdest vocal pairings ever. Remarkably, Cash's strong baritone goes extremely well with Dylan's... weird Dylan voice.

The various guitar work on this tune is similar to "Lay Lady Lay", it's just rocking a couple notches harder. The pedal steel especially is just stellar on this one.

This track appears along with "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" and "Subterranean Homesick Blues" on Bringing it All Back Home. Although "Subterranean Homesick Blues" is a little more well known for it, this track has Dylan doing the same folk singer speech rap that Billy Joel could not hold a candle to on "We Didn't Start the Fire".

No comments: