Friday, April 27, 2007

Fuck You Friday + BoogadaBoogadaBoogada

So it's time to bring back something that's fallen by the wayside as of late, Fuck You Friday! Just to recap, Fuck You Friday was an irregular feature where I'd post something that I should probably have been ashamed to share. It all works out in the end, since being self-deprecating gives me free scene points, plus you, the reader, get to look down on me for enjoying such music. Plus you can download it and have your very own guilty pleasure.

So today's Fuck You Friday is a two-fer, coming at you straight from late 90's Z100. When I was a sixth grader, my musical tastes were a bit weird. I really liked the foo fighters and the smashing pumpkins, but I was also really into radio station parody songs, like "Star Wars Cantina" which Z100 played a lot. (I was also kind of a nerd.) Listening to Z100, hoping to catch "Star Wars Cantina", I kinda started to get into some of the dance music that they played. The other day I heard a DJ spinning a freestyle set and he threw in "Set You Free" by Planet Soul, making it the first time I've heard it on the radio in ages. That song is my first memory of knowing that a song is referencing drugs (a kid at sleepaway camp with glowsticks told me all about spelling out your name in lights and he mentioned this song a bunch). Listening to it now, I think the lyrics might actually be "Set You Free" and not "X T C", but it was still a milestone in my life. I guess.



Also,



Check out Can You See the Sunset from the Southside? for a cool bit on Screeching Weasel, complete with MAD downloads. If you're not familiar with the band and don't feel like downloading all 20 songs, do yourself a favor and at least snag "Punk House". Personally I prefer the version of "Hey Suburbia" off of '88's BoogadaBoogadaBoogada! It's a little faster than the one they've posted, so if that's your thing, check it out here. Plus you can't go wrong by playing modified Ramones' tunes.

No comments: