Tuesday, April 10, 2007

EVERYTHING COMES TO AN END

It might not have been the mind blowing season premiere we had a year ago, but what an episode Sunday's Sopranos was. Bobby Bacala raises his hand to a boss? He's got to be crazy. Also, I know it was necessary, as far as the plot is concerned, for Bobby to come out on top, but are we supposed to believe that he just kicked the piss out of the man who beasted Muscles Marinara? Drunk or not, that's a little loco. I missed Christopher's presence last night, probably my favorite character, but the not so subtle hint at brewing trouble between him and Tony should make for interesting plot. Add that to Tony's tensions with Bobby, plus assume that Paulie's always unhappy about something, and you've got a bit of dissension in the ranks. Then, consider the fact that AJ is getting serious with a minority single mother. Knowing the Soprano parents feelings on interracial dating, you have to guess that it only gets worse when the minority in question is already a parent. Then you've got the Feds' mounting case against Tony, his new assault rifle, and the piece of Bobby's shirt stuck in a dead man's clutches. We're only one episode deep and already Tony has trouble coming at him from every angle.


Then again, when Bobby's daughter sings with her babysitter about the little ducklings, maybe that's a sign of good to come for Tony (It all comes back to the ducks.). I'm guessing that it's a sign of good things not to come, but I'm a pessimist, and Tony acknowledges himself that he's headed for the can or the embalming room. If they keep up the pace, something they had trouble with last year, this is going to be one hell of a season. I'm not gonna hope for any specific outcome, because then it won't happen, but I would like to see Tony and Junior reconciled. Even if Tony clips him in the next breath, I'd like it. Really, if I think about it, I think I'd like it more if that's how their relationship ended. Junior needs to go down in a firestorm, not this gradual loss of dignity he's going through now. One of my favorite things to tell people is how Uncle Junior hung out at my tennis matches in high school, on occasion, since I played with his grandson. I'm kinda glad I didn't have HBO then, or I've probably been more star struck than I was when I met ghostface, definitely not as calm as I was when I met Mos Def, certainly not as interested in throwing someone off a cage as when I met Mick Foley, and positively not as confused as when I met that redhead who told me how she used to be on Head of The Class. I've only heard of that show because one of the adult actors on the original season of All That used to reference it occasionally. I think he was on it too. I wish I met him. It's also too bad I didn't have a copy of Ungrateful Heart in high school, or I totally could've had it autographed.



"Dicitenciello Vuie" by Dominic Chianese
"Piscatore Pusilleco" by Dominic Chianese

I don't know what either of those means in Italian, but I like to pretend the second one is a song about vaginas that smell like seafood.

No comments: