Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Beasties in the Pool

Pretty late with this review; oh well, gotta keep the blog alive. So this post is a little different from the rest - I figured since I was drunk at the show I might as well be drunk writing the review (excuses, excuses I know..) but I caught the BBoys earlier in the month at McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn and it was straight on point. First off any show I can have easily accessible free parking, even according to NYCPD, is a fuckin’ hit in my books right off the bat. Got there with no problems and the park was set up right next to a couple bars and bodega’s all supporting Brooklyn Brewery which was served at the pool too.

Put back a few in the park across the street while one of the chicks from Luscious Jackson was DJ’ing then made my way into the show. Opened with Hello Brooklyn and closed with No Sleep ‘til Brooklyn and as I suspected on my ride to the show this was in fact the first Beastie Boys show in Brooklyn to date. The atmosphere was more or less a block party and the boys were playful with each other on stage and even brought out Rev Run at one point.

They mixed instrumental segments with DJ set and that kept everything moving nicely and apparently played a more varied set list than what was the norm for most of the tour. Everything was on point except having to wait 30+ min for a fuckin beer but I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I think by now most of the show is all over YouTube but here’s a couple clips.

Hello Brooklyn/ Root Down

Open Letter to NYC/ Rev Run On Stage


No Sleep til Brooklyn

No comments: