Friday, June 23, 2006

the Ergs!



















The plan was to go to CBGB to see Jedi Mind Tricks. The show was sold out before we even got as Penn Station. So rather than take a train back to Jersey, my traveling mates and I decided that we might as well just get a couple bottles of brandy and go find something to do. A good amount of brandy, 4 citations for public drinking, 6 40s, and plenty of stolen cans of Modelo later, I decided that at 4 am it was a great idea to take the subway to Coney Island and hang out until my friend Rudi's birthday party the next night. It turned out to not be the most logical plan, but once I finally made it to Rudi's she was playing this band I hadn't heard before, the aforementioned Ergs! and I found out that they were coming to play in her living room later that night. I ended up having to leave to catch a train before they played their set, but I really enjoyed their recorded stuff and I've been listening to it ever since. They have a new album out, but to be honest I haven't listened to it much. Out of everything I've sampled, I enjoy their out of Print Ben Kweller EP the most.

"Ashley Sugarnotch" by the Ergs!
I heard this song and remembered that pop punk doesn't neccessarily have to be shitty.

"Pool Pass" by the Ergs!
A lotta their songs show a really good sense of humor. This one, along with "Ben Kweller" and "Obligatory Song about Killing One's Boyfriend" are among my favourites out of their funny moments.

"Ben Kweller" by the Ergs!

Just listen. This is funny and great.

No comments: